Van Allen is a community of learners with a student body of approximately 320 students. Our educational program commences with the District-wide pre-school, then the elementary program serves students in kindergarten until they leave us upon the completion of Grade 5.
At Van Allen, social and emotional student development is highly important, and empowering students to become independent contributing members of our community is a top priority. Our goal is to provide your child daily successful learning experiences, and we understand the importance and value of strong teacher-student relationships. We are uniquely enriched by having a dynamic student body supported by outstanding parental and community support.
Our school values of Practice Responsibility, Respect and Safety, Integrity, Do Your Best, and Empathy, (PRIDE), are the foundation for life at Van Allen. These values coupled with the efforts of our dedicated and committed faculty and staff, provide students with support and guidance to achieve academically, and thrive socially and emotionally.
For the 2018-19 school year, we look forward to new additions and changes to our school program, which include the following:
- A new climate-controlled school environment as all classrooms are now air conditioned! :)
- A newly installed sixty-foot climbing wall funded collaborative by the Van Allen Parent Teacher Association. Mount Pleasant Evening Rotary, and Iowa State Extension Office
- Working in collaboration with Iowa State Extension Office and Iowa Wesleyan students, Van Allen offers an afterschool program for students in Grades Two -Five.
- Also, the physical education teacher, Lisa Lowery, and our school nurse Jennifer Striegel will guide us in a pilot project, School Wide Integrated Teaching Children’s Health (SWITCH) for students in Grades Four and Grade Five.
- Plus, we are now fully functioning using Pickup Patrol tool, a web-based tool which will allow parents to contact the school with their child’s end of day transportation change from their child's regular dismissal plan, but also report a child's absence by 8:30 AM.
For more recent information about Van Allen, our school blog can be accessed at https://mpvanallen.wordpress.com
If I can help you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or at our school phone number at 319-385-7771.
Donald P. LeBlanc